Posted by harm.evil.lilac on March 3, 2019 at 05:56 PM
So, I had this exchange in skype earlier with a former colleague (who was the previous geology superintendent in our other site) which was now hired as a consultant on my former site (basically we switched locations).
In 2017, he was asking for geological data on regional geology which I purposely ignored due to the reasons below:
- At the time, he was already made redundant from our company. He's asking for privileged information on areas that he didn't work on at all. While we were in the same department before, with him being in Myanmar and I was in Laos at the time, the data of both sites were compartmentalised, I don't have access to much of their data and most of them working in Myanmar didn't have access to ours.
When he asked for the data, I was still working at the same company albeit on a different department and didn't lose access to the data. I wasn't the current custodian of the data since that would be cross-department stuff and I have to ask permission to my previous boss (which I also didn't want to do). I am bound by company rules and my contract not to give him any.
I eventually figured out why he was asking for the said data - there was an opening for an expatriate exploration manager on a company working on the tenement adjacent to the areas we've worked on -- so yeah double no -- I won't be complicit to theft of intellectual property.
- Also, aside from him not qualified for the data. I don't intend to help my rival But that's a story for another day
Well, this time and that time are different. He was hired as a consultant by our company to re-interpret the data that we have to check if those who worked on both mines didn't leave any concept not investigated. As part of his mandate and I'm sure he's bound by confidentiality agreements - I didn't have any qualms helping him at this stage so yes, both reasons I gave above doesn't hold true.
Anyway, in the end, the data he's looking for this time actually didn't exist save for regional geophysics dataset so I cannot help him that much. Problem solved.
Posted by harm.evil.lilac on July 24, 2018 at 07:37 PM
There is no fighting back the tide (and my eventual transfer back)
The decision was made above my paygrade (and yours too). Besides I’m accepting the offer.
Posted by harm.evil.lilac on May 8, 2018 at 08:21 PM
Err... I don’t care what date it is today XD
I registered my first Tabulas account one beautiful day back in April 2005 some 13 years and 17 days ago because I actually ran out of notebooks to write on. I made a second account – a.k.a. This one – to separate my then game persona (old blog) to my personal one a few months after and continued on. I almost tried them all: Geocities, blogger, LiveJournal, WordPress.com, Posterous, self-hosted WordPress and one arcane journal site which I can’t even remember -- and I kept on returning back to Tabulas.
I mean what’s not to like about Tabulas, then and now?
- There’s a great community of writers.
- I am delighted to change my template styles on a whim – which you have to code for.
- Privacy settings – who doesn’t love Friends-only posts? I do! It allows us to share posts with friends but keep the rest of the public out. I mean, WordPress enables you to do protected posts, but you need to set a password every single time.
- Backups, stats – it was great then until Roy deprecated them. Well, only stats, the backups he wasn’t able to port back and updated when the site was restored.
And that’s what bugs me the most these days, the lack of back-ups. Mainly when the community lost a few posts here and there in 201x when Roy’s host decided not to continue hosting tabulas… and took over the Tabulas.com domain. Fortunately, I didn’t lose anything since I was mostly hibernating at that time. I still am now, despite willing my self to write more since last year, inactive AF posting a few things from time to time.
Although takeover of tabulas is nigh impossible, I am keeping another copy of my posts in a self-hosted WordPress on my personal site. Just in case something terrible occurred, like Roy ending tabulas (NOOOOOOOOOO!) – sure with our current traffic and usage, we’re not cutting through Roy’s bottom line – but who knows right?
I still can’t get to love WordPress though.
Oh well. C’est la vie.
Posted by harm.evil.lilac on October 9, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Teka, ang katotohanan na lang ba sa Pilipinas eh ang traffic at manggagantsong taxi driver... at puro fake news na lahat?
reading :fake news everywhere
Posted by harm.evil.lilac on March 12, 2008 at 11:01 PM
the world is beautiful even when they are filled with sadness and tears. open your eyes, do what you wish to do, become what you want to be. make friends, don't rush and take your time in becoming an adult
the day before yesterday i saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today.. you